|Description:||Senior Program Advisory Specialist
As part of its succession planning and talent management strategy, the Advisory Services Section is looking for professionals with training and experience in legal, accounting, and/or government administration or policy to fill several positions as Senior Program Advisory Specialists. The staff who fill these roles will join our growing team of professionals, who work on complex legislative matters and specialize in providing both written and verbal advice regarding the administration of the Ministry of Finance's tax and benefit programs.
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Conduct comprehensive research on matters pertaining to tax and benefits program related legislative, regulatory or administrative issues;
• Provide written and verbal interpretations and rulings advising on tax and benefits program related matters to a variety of internal and external clients;
• Identify and clarify legislative and regulatory problems and develop solutions for internal clients and ministry executives;
• Prepare written briefs and reports on legislative, administrative and policy matters;
• Represent the section, division and/or ministry at presentations, meetings, working groups or committees;
• Interact with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including other governments and jurisdictions, with the purpose of building relationships, reconciling divergent viewpoints and enhancing cooperation to support the ministry's tax and benefit programs;
• Propose and evaluate amendments to tax and benefits related legislation, regulations, policies, and procedures.
How do I qualify?
Technical Knowledge and Skills:
• You have ability to interpret and apply legislation and administrative policy in tax and benefits program situations.
• You have knowledge of the legislative development and policy-making process to develop and evaluate legislative and policy proposals.
• You have knowledge of financial accounting/auditing principles, policies and law.
• You have strong project management skills to lead, plan and implement projects related to complex tax and benefits administration projects and initiatives.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
• You have communication skills to discuss complex legislative and regulatory issues with taxpayers or their representatives and senior officials.
• You have demonstrated ability to prepare exceptional quality written interpretative opinions, reports, position papers, publications, and correspondence for the Minister of Finance.
• You have consultation and negotiation skills to effectively address and resolve taxation issues with a variety of stakeholders.
• You have influencing and negotiating skills to elicit and promote cooperation in contentious areas of taxation.
Analytical, Research and Problem-Solving Skills:
• You have strong research skills to conduct self-directed research into various legislative and related tax administration issues and cases.
• You have analytical skills to interpret legislation and tax administration policies.
• You have business acuity and both a broader and self-awareness to manage contentious issues.
• You have demonstrated ability to evaluate financial and business transactions to assess legislative and policy applications and develop opinions and recommendations.
• You have excellent problem-solving skills to identify problems and inconsistencies in existing law or policy to make recommendations for changes to legislation or program administration.
Salary Range: $70,538 - $103,944 per year
• 1 Permanent, 33 King St W, Oshawa, Central Region
• 3 Temporary, duration up to 18 months, 33 King St W, Oshawa, Central Region
Please apply online, only, by Monday, June 25, 2018, by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers and entering Job ID 122990 in the Job ID search field. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.